Kidney Disease Treatment: What to know about Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) to recover kidney function
Episode 58: Kidney Disease Treatment: What to know about Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) to recover kidney function. Kidney Disease (CKD) has no cure, but you can make changes to your diet and lifestyle to improve your kidney health. Kidney Disease or treatment does not have to control your life - many people CAN avoid or delay kidney failure and dialysis. Since being diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease and Kidney Failure, I was told I had zero chance of getting better from stage 5 but I have lived a healthier life and improved my kidney health, and increased my kidney function. Today I am stage 3, full of energy, with no kidney disease symptoms. Here are the things I wish I knew when I was first diagnosed with stage 5 kidney failure that would have helped me improve my kidney function and lower my creatinine level.
- Kidney Specialist (Nephrologist) are still figuring out how to treat Kidney Disease. For far too long kidney disease treatment was to watch you get worse, then send you to dialysis.
- The lack of education is the core of the kidney disease problem. Doctors are given very little nutritional training, they are reluctant to leverage dietitians, and when they speak to us, the kidney patients, they do not know what to say or more importantly, HOW TO SAY IT so that we understand and can take action.
- This lack of education continues from your doctors to you, the patient. Brochures and kidney guides are poorly written, lack specifics, and are difficult for more people to understand. Education is key in fighting and beating CKD so you must do all you can to learn as much as you can. Being proactive is critical in getting the best treatment.
- You’ll want to look around online for information – and understand, the vast majority of it is either too general, not explained well enough, missing key parts, or completely wrong.
- Speaking of missing information, Dialysis and transplant ARE NOT THE ONLY OPTIONS and just because you get to stage 5 doesn’t mean these are your future.
- Diet is critical in fighting chronic kidney disease, and it’s one thing you have control over. There is no 1 best diet for CKD but there are things that are proven to be more helpful. Such as eating low carb and plant-based.
- The best resource to help you with your kidney disease diet is a RENAL DIETITIAN. No matter what stage, a renal dietitian can help you.
- Your dietitian will help you set daily minimums AND maximums for key nutrients. These include daily Caloric, Calcium, Carbs, Fiber, Iron, Sodium, Potassium, Phosphorous, Protein, and Water targets
- To help stay on target, use a food tracking app, like Chronometer.
- Let your dietitian know what foods you really enjoy – chances are they can help you fit them into your diet. They will work with you on portion control and the results of your latest labs to show you how to expand your diet to include foods you enjoy.
- Not all protein is the same. Animal-based protein is far harder on your kidneys. Study after study shows that eating plant-based protein is far easier on your kidneys and is beneficial for those with kidney damage.
- Doctor/Dietitian Recommended Supplements can be life-changing. Supplementing your diet with the right nutrients can reduce symptoms or even prevent things like anemia.
- Everyone has to manage their blood sugar – not just diabetics.
- Managing your blood pressure is far more important than most people believe. Your kidneys regulate your blood pressure and unmanaged blood pressure can lead to further kidney damage.
- Exercise has a huge impact on helping you fight CKD. 30 minutes 5 days a week.
- Being overweight is not helpful in fighting CKD. Work with your health care team to put together a diet and exercise program to help you get to a healthy weight.
- Focus on your overall health, not your eGFR.
- Avoid negative people.
✅ Learn more about James Fabin and Kidney Disease at: https://www.dadvicetv.com/
🍎 Chronometer Nutrition Tracking App: https://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=766203&u=2032723&m=61121&urllink=&afftrack=
👕 Check out the Dadvice TV Amazon Store - https://amzn.to/3bCzxDu
🔔 Subscribe for LIVE EVENT ALERTS - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKh6qttlTi93HGCuGo8xN-A?sub_confirmation=1
❤️ Support Dadvice TV with a YouTube membership
IMPORTANT: Dadvice TV is NOT A DOCTOR. Patients should always be under the care of a physician and defer to their physician for any and all treatment decisions. This video is not meant to replace a physician's advice, supervision, and counsel. No information in the video should be construed as medical advice. All medical decisions should be made by the patient and a qualified physician. This video is for informational purposes only and DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE PROVIDING OF MEDICAL ADVICE.
#DadviceTV #kidneydisease #kidneyhealth #kidneyfailure #ckd #kidneys #chronickidneydisease #kidneywarrior #kidneydiseaseawareness